Wednesday 27 July 2011

An IPA a Day #20

To Chico we go now and the extremely popular Sierra Nevada Brewing Co and probably my favourite of their beers, Torpedo Extra IPA.
I've written about this on more than one occasion, but I'm not sure that multiple drunk diary entries really count.
For me the greatness of this beer all starts with the colour of the label, it's a darker, more mysterious than the boring old Pale Ale label that everyone knows so well and orders without even thinking. Don't get me wrong I think the Pale Ale is still a great beer but the Torpedo is phenomenal!

It's 7.2% and as you can see it's a beautiful light tawny red and when you stick your nose in the glass you get a mental blast of hoppy Pineapple, Mandarin and Pine, when you taste it there's so much bitterness up front that it almost drowns everything else out. After the second or third sip though your taste buds are working overtime and really getting the citrus and a slight malty sweetness in the middle and the citrus bitterness hits you on the arse at the end!
Such a great beer! I can't recommend this enough, get some down ya!!

3 comments:

Baron Orm said...

I love this beer to, so much that I bought an entire case of it from Ales By Mail! :D

Ian Cann said...

An absolutely gorgeous drop definitely my favourite of the SN stable, drinks nothing like 7.2%, one of my 'iv drip beers.'

Scott Murray said...

Tryed this at the Sheffield tap the other week on keg, great show of what a brewer can do with their hops.