Tuesday 21 December 2010

Brewday with The Kernel

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of a brew day with Evin O'Riordan of the popular micro brewery The Kernel Brewery.
I asked Evin if I could come and brew with him a couple of months ago and he very generously agreed, I came up with the idea of doing a black IPA which Evin got really excited about. THEN I had the fortune of being brought a can of 21st Amendment's Back in Black IPA and I got even more excited about brewing a black IPA! - I wrote about the Back in Black here.
Then Evin suggested that because I liked the BIB so much we should do an homage to it, I very swiftly agreed to that because if ours is half as good as the 21st Amendment version, I'll be really happy. Evin got the recipe from Phil Lowry of beermerchants who knows the guys at 21a and had done his own version called Military Intelligence. We were now good to go.
Boggle turned up to chronicle the event/make fun of me and you can read his blog on it here.
I'm not going to bore you with the brewing details as frankly I've been too busy in the last couple of weeks to make the notes up, I'll have some of them available at the launch on the 9th January if you really must know.
Hops we used were five editions of Centennial and Columbus. Malts were Pale, Carafa & Munich.

So as I type, it's two weeks later and I have tried the beer! I have one sentiment to convey as far as the beer goes and that is : oh my!
I've only had the last runnings of it and as yeasty as they were they were also superbly tasty! Can't wait to try the good stuff!
Anyway we're launching the Black IPA at The Rake on Sunday 9th January between 12pm and 5pm for the first of our Sunday Specials of 2011 so come on down and try it!
Hope to see you there and more importantly, I hope you enjoy the beer!

6 comments:

Paul Kruzycki said...

I was going to spend a day with Evin but the Christmas rush and weather scuppered the plan. Hope to get there in 2011 and enjoy some of your beer :-)

--
Paul Kruzycki
Ales By Mail
www.alesbymail.com

rabidbarfly said...

Look forward to seeing you there mate!

Mark Dredge said...

Sounds fantastic - one not to miss!

rabidbarfly said...

Should be a great afternoons drinking!

Ricardo Matos said...

Hello brewers, that this Christmas will bring much happiness to all and many beers ...
Happy Christmas ...........
http://grandecervejeiro.blogspot.com/

Ali said...

Thought I'd chime in. My Black IPA, Indian Ink, was inspired by the Kernel Black IPA I tasted in late January 2011 (the day I took the BJCP exam as it happens). I worked up a recipe, brewed it, and entered it in the Bristol Beer Factory's Homebrew Competition. It won, and has since been brewed and sold!